Terms & Privacy
Version 1.2, published July 15, 2009.
These Terms of Service ("Agreement") govern your access to and use of the service(s) ("Service") provided by Next Big Sound Inc. ("Next Big Sound", "we" or "us") through our website (the "Site") or through other communication platforms, including applications on your mobile device (each, an "Application"). Please read this Agreement carefully. By accessing the Service or by accessing or downloading any associated reports, media, materials, or "online" or electronic documentation (collectively, "Licensed Materials"), you agree to be bound by this Agreement. If you do not wish to be bound by this Agreement, you may not access or use the Service or Licensed Materials.
This Agreement may be amended by Next Big Sound from time to time. If we make material changes to the Agreement, we will notify you by email at the email address you provide with your user account information. You agree that such amended Agreement will be effective thirty (30) days after our dispatch of a notice to you, and your continued access to or use of the Service or Licensed Material thereafter shall constitute your acceptance of the amended Agreement.
By using the Service, you represent and warrant that you have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement and to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you are an individual using the Service on behalf of an entity, you represent and warrant that you have all necessary right and authority to bind such entity to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
2. User Accounts
3. License; Proprietary Rights
1. Use of the Service. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Next Big Sound grants your Users a limited, nonexclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable and revocable license to access and use the Service for your internal business purposes only. Sharing the Licensed Material with non-Users is strictly forbidden. You must use the Service in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations. You acknowledge and agree that your use of the Service or downloading of Licensed Material is at your sole risk. Next Big Sound reserves the right to change or discontinue the Service (or any feature thereof) at any time, with or without notice.
2. License to Materials. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Next Big Sound grants you a limited, nonexclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable and revocable license to download and display Licensed Materials solely for your internal business purposes.
3. Restrictions. The rights granted to you in this Agreement are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, outsource, disclose or otherwise commercially exploit the Service or the Licensed Materials or make the Service or the Licensed Materials available to any third party; (b) you shall not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Service or the Licensed Materials; (c) you shall not access or use the Service to build a similar or competitive product or service or attempt to access the Service through any unapproved interface; (d) you will not use any device, software, or routine to damage, interfere or attempt to interfere with any application, function, or use of the Service; (e) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Service or Licensed Materials may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means; and (f) any future release, update, or other change to functionality of the Service (if any) shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement unless Next Big Sound expressly states otherwise. You shall preserve all copyright and other proprietary rights notices on the Licensed Materials and all copies thereof.
4. Proprietary Rights. Next Big Sound and its licensors own and retain all proprietary rights in the Service and the Licensed Materials. The Service and Licensed Materials contain the copyrighted material, trademarks, and other proprietary information of Next Big Sound and its licensors. Except as expressly specified in this Agreement, the provision of the Service and the Licensed Materials does not transfer to you or any third party any rights in or ownership of such intellectual property, including, without limitation, any intellectual property rights in any Next Big Sound or third-party content.
4. Data You Provide To Next Big Sound
1. License to Artist Data. In connection with your use of the Service, you may provide us with data regarding yourself (if you’re an artist) or artists you represent ("Artist Data") in the fields and format we accept – such as Google Analytics and sales data. By doing so, you hereby grant Next Big Sound a limited, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free right to use the Artist Data solely for the purposes of optimizing, validating, enhancing, supplementing and improving the Service and Next Big Sound’s related product and service offerings. You agree not to provide us any Artist Data that you know is false or inaccurate, or otherwise intended to disrupt or falsely skew our data or the Service, and you acknowledge and agree that we have no obligation to confirm the validity or otherwise verify the accuracy of the Artist Data.
2. Restrictions. To the extent your Artist Data is not publicly available or available to us from another source without restriction, we will only use it on an aggregated basis in connection with our services, and we will only disclose it to a third party for such purpose and under reasonable terms of confidentiality. Except as expressly specified in this Agreement, your provision of the Artist Data to us does not transfer to us or any third party any rights in or ownership thereof.
5. Fees; Payments
1. Fees. Your use of the Service is subject to your payment of the applicable subscription fees ("Fees"), as set forth on the Order Form. Actual Fees and availability of all aspects of the Service are subject to change by Next Big Sound at any time, unless otherwise set forth on the Order Form. You must provide Next Big Sound with valid credit card information or other payment information prior to accessing the Service. You agree that Next Big Sound may charge Fees to your credit card or other payment account for the Service and that you will pay all applicable Fees assessed to your Account. Our Fees are exclusive of all taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities, and you are responsible for payment of all such taxes, levies or duties.
2. Payment. Unless otherwise specified in the Order Form, Fees are due monthly in advance and are non-refundable.
3. Compliance Validation. Upon reasonable advance written notice, Next Big Sound may validate your compliance with this Agreement through a review (by either Next Big Sound or an independent third party) of your technological information and/or systems sufficient to demonstrate your compliance. You agree to cooperate in conducting any such validation procedure. If the validation procedure reveals that you have used the Service in a manner that exceeds the scope in the Order Form, you will pay us for such unlicensed use of the Service based on the then-current Next Big Sound fee structure. We shall bear the cost of the review; provided, however, if the underpaid fees exceed ten percent (10%) of the fees paid (or due) to us during the preceding three (3) month period, then you shall pay our reasonable costs of conducting the validation.
Subject to this Section, this Agreement will remain in full force and effect while you use the Service and/or maintain an Account. Unless otherwise set forth on the Order Form, you may terminate your Account at any time, for any reason by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Subject to the Order Form, Next Big Sound has the right to terminate this Agreement, or suspend or terminate your access to the Service, for any reason immediately effective upon sending notice to you at the email address you provide in your Account. Upon termination of this Agreement by either party, your right to access and use the Service will terminate immediately. You agree that we will have no liability to you for any costs, losses, damages, or liabilities arising out of or related to the termination of this Agreement or denial of your access to or use of the Service. Even after this Agreement is terminated, the following provisions of this Agreement will remain in effect: Sections 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11.
7. Warranty Disclaimer
To the extent permitted under applicable laws, the Service and Licensed Materials are provided "As-is" and as available and Next Big Sound expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, the warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, quiet enjoyment, accuracy, or non-infringement. Next Big Sound does not guarantee and does not promise any specific results from the use of the Service or Licensed Materials. Next Big Sound makes no warranty regarding the results, data or License Material obtained or derived through the use of the Service, nor that the Service will be uninterrupted, free of viruses or other harmful code, timely, secure, or error-free. You agree that Next Big Sound is not responsible for the timeliness, deletion, mis-delivery, or failure to store any communications or personalization or preference settings.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
8. Limitation on Liability
To the extent permitted under applicable laws, Next Big Sound shall not be liable to you, or any third party, for any lost profits, indirect, consequential, exemplary, incidental, special or punitive damages arising from or relating to your use of the Service, Site, or Licensed Material under this Agreement, even if Next Big Sound has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, Next Big Sound’s liability to you for any cause whatsoever, and regardless of the form of the action, will at all times be limited to the greater of (1) an amount equal to the amounts paid by you to Next Big Sound in the twelve (12) months preceding the claim; and (2) one hundred U.S. Dollars (US $100). The existence of one or more claims will not serve to enlarge this limit. You acknowledge and agree that the limitations of Next Big Sound’s liability are (a) reasonable in light of your ability to use the Service, Site, or Licensed Material at the fees charged by Next Big Sound, and (b) essential and fundamental parts of this agreement, which are necessary to induce Next Big Sound to enter into this agreement.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
You agree to indemnify and hold Next Big Sound, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and other partners and their employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, demand, costs, or expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees, brought by any third party arising out of or relating to: (a) your use of the Service, Site or Licensed Material, (b) our use of the Artist Data in accordance with the terms hereof, or (c) your breach of this Agreement.
10. Electronic Communications
The communications between you and Next Big Sound use electronic means, whether you visit the Site or send us emails, or whether Next Big Sound posts notices on the Service or communicates with you via email. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from Next Big Sound in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Next Big Sound provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were in a hardcopy writing. The foregoing does not affect your non-waivable rights.
You may not, by operation of law or otherwise, delegate or otherwise transfer your rights or obligations under this Agreement to any third party without our prior consent, and any attempt to do so will be void.
13. Copyright/Trademark Information
Copyright 2008-2017, Next Big Sound Inc. All rights reserved. The trademarks, logos and service marks ("Marks") displayed on the Service are our property or may be the property of third parties. Certain uses of Marks require the permission of the owner. If you are interested in using our Marks for any purpose, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine whether such a use requires authorization.
What We Collect
We may ask you to enter the following information voluntarily:
- Contact information including email address and phone number.
- Demographic information such as postal code, age, gender, preferences and interests.
- Other information relevant to customer segmentation (profession, musical tastes).
- Logos, colors and contact information for your company.
- Login credentials for third-party websites.
- Billing and shipping information.
What We Do With The Information We Collect
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties other than the bands and/or managers, labels, agents of the specific bands you are subscribed to. We may also use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting. We also require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- We may use the information to customize the website according to your interests.
- To improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional email about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- Internal record keeping
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to External Web Sources
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling Your Personal Information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website you do not need to fill in any information that is not labeled as required.
- You may contact us directly to delete any/all of your personal information.
- You can opt to completely delete your account at any time.